Wednesday, September 4, 2019


Westside Quilt Guild Board Meeting
September 3, 2019
Heid
Present: Sue Nichols, Susan Greathouse, Heidi Nesheim, Penni Eagan, Renee Friberg, Sue Hauser, Connie Gaebel, Lori Haugsten

The meeting opened at 5:58 pm

President
Sue asked who currently has keys to the storage unite and mailbox. She up dated her list and will see that Renee will get a key to the storage unit by the October General Meeeting.


Vice President Education
Susan reported about the Adelante Mujeres Chicas Camp. Five guild members volunteered their services and talents. 60 girls from 5th to 12th grades participated at different stations throughout the day. They used muslin and felt to make quilt blocks. Many wanted to hand sew their blocks. They will continue to work with this group throughout the school year with two additional school teachers. Due to travel more sessions will not begin until November. The guild members brought quilts to share which the girls enjoyed.
.

Vice President Charity
Absent

Secretary
Heidi revisited the idea of posting an agenda for all to see at the General Meetings. She talked the IT people and found timing would make it difficult to post on the screens at the meeting. She suggested a flip chart for all to see at the entrance to the meetings. The purchase of a flip chart and stand was approved. Sue reminds everyone who needs to be added to the agenda MUST have it to her no later than the Saturday prior to the Monday meeting.


Treasurer
Penni passed out copies of her report. She commended Donna for her willingness to help through the transition.

Membership
Lori reported that there have been several disgruntled members regarding their membership and photos. The membership committee have be the recipients of confrontational remarks. They would like to remind membership that her committee along with everyone else, who works hard to keep our Guild going strong, are volunteers. Mistakes can be made, none of which are intentional. We all try to do our best for the sake of the Guild and would appreciate it if negativity is left at the door when you come to meetings. Email Lori if you need her to mail you a registration form. Membership renewals were due in July in order to be included in the current directory. There will be a mid-year addendum to include those not included in the current directory. She re minds everyone that the membership “desk” is not open until 6:00, please do not check in until they are ready.

                                                                                  Quilt Barn Trail
Sue received a letter from the committee. See last page for the full letter. Heidi reported that the AAA Magazine mentioned the Trail in their latest issue.

Ways & Means
Nancy still doing things since she has the quilt show boutique. Renee posed the question of should we do rummage sale vs. brown bag. The brown bag requires a lot of hours and storage space, including a U-Haul rental. The returns are greater from brown bag $3500+ vs $1600. The time of the year is also a challenge. To align with the fiscal year the decision was made to hold off and not do a big fundraiser until April 2021. Sue stated she can “hold” April 2021 in programs and if things change, she can fill the spot with a few months’ notice. Any suggestions for a future fundraiser will be appreciated.  A reminder, needs to be placed in the Newsletter, to encourage members to sign up with Fred Meyer and Amazon for points. Your personal points are not affected however, the guild will get a portion donated based on points obtained.  Renee will start bringing WQG logo merchandise to meetings for members to purchase.


Programs
The program committee consists of Sue H., Ruth, Connie and Toni.  They recently met to determine what are the roles and responsibilities for each member. The committee agreed that some roles need to change. Connie will take over as the lead for programs, Sue will get speakers and arrange workshops, Ruth will handle sign ups for retreats and workshops, Toni and Connie will work together on retreats. Any questions regarding programs should be directed to Connie. Connie reported that our eight-foot tables at the Senior Center are being use by the center, as a result several are broken and unsafe.  Connie would like approval to purchase two new tables. She suggested the six-foot tables from Costco that fold in half. This way they can be stored in the storage room and not be as appealing to be used by the center. These tables would cost approx. $50, the eight-foot tables would cost approx. $150.  A motion was made by Renee to purchase two six-foot tables, there was a second by Susan and all approved. The broken tables will be offered for sale for parts at a later time.
Coming up:
Girl Scout Retreat:  Sept 6-8, all spaces filled
Grandmother’s Garden:  Sept 15
September Speaker: Novelist Maria Boswick
Sewing Saturday September 21
No Machines Required September 25
There will be an e-mail blast for the Mystery Class’ instructions. It happens October 5th & 6th $25





New Business

A member at the last meeting wanting to show a quilt at the general meeting with some nudity. She asked if would be appropriate in a church venue. It was decided it could be inappropriate and will ask her to bring it to a Sewing Saturday or Sewing Weekend and that she asks before she shares. It was also discussed that members respect the venue of our meetings and avoid language that is inappropriate.

Penni will be unavailable for a month, Sue H. will take over treasury during her absence.

Connie is working on the new “rustic” retreat for 2020 in Scappoose. She will be trying to get the reservations this week when they open at midnight. She is reserving RV spaces, cabins and the community center. The dates are June 5-7, 2020. There will be no Girl Scout Retreat in 2020.  These two locations will alternate the following years.  There will be additional Sewing Weekends to accommodate the loss of one retreat in 2020.

Susan asked if she needed a sub for meetings? It was determined that only the president and secretary need subs.
Mass e-mails, send to Carrie for blasts.  Jayne May is doing newsletter.

Old Business


The meeting was adjourned at 7:21 pm

Respectfully submitted,
Heidi Nesheim, Secretary


No comments: